Thursday, February 1, 2018

I can make my own coconut oil!

That's right! Last week my new host family helped me make my own coconut oil and it was so cool! Not pictured are the 6 coconuts we grated to get the amount of coconut below. It's actually pretty hard to grate coconuts...you have to sit on this piece of wood with a grater on the end and then work the coconut in a circle. Uncle Baio, my new host dad, is really good and can grate them speed speed (Creolese) I was determined to do as many as I could but could only get 1 1/2 done before my hands were literally bleeding! 
We were left with all of this coconut, which Auntie Lalita, my new host mom, and I then soaked in water to create coconut milk. We did this twice, wringing out the coconut to get all of the milk. Then we put it all in this huge pot and let it sit over night. 

The next day, after school, a layer of fat had risen to the top, we scooped all of that out and put it to boil on her kerosene stove. This took a while, stirring occasionally. But you could see it turning to oil! 


We were left with a water bottle full of coconut oil!  As my mom says, now I can survive an apocalypse! Now get to grating!






"I'll grow up when I'm older" - Young The Giant

No comments:

Post a Comment