Friday, March 24, 2017

One Week in Laluni!

We got to spend a week in our sites to meet our supervisors, counterparts, new host families and schools! My site is called Laluni, it is an Amerindian community in Region 4 about two hours from Georgetown. It is an agricultural community where most families are farmers, with about 300 people. It's very rural and very simple.


Here is my new school, Laluni Primary School! They have a nursery school attached and grades 1-3 downstairs and grades 4-6 upstairs. There is a teacher for a every grade, which is surprising and less than 70 students in the whole school! Very small.

 There are two kids in first grade! This teacher is getting her degree from UG in Georgetown so she is only in class one day a week right now...
 There was a volunteer in this community for two years who left in July, Evan, who started a library project. They have built the library and have some books but now I will be organizing all the books according to level, finishing off the library, teaching about the library, being the librarian and then training a new librarian for when I leave!


  1. This is my new house! We have no electricity, no running water and my new bffs are some bats that have moved in. I will be living with an elderly woman named Marcie, who hosted the last volunteer.  We do have a solar panel but the battery is currently broken...thankfully the school has a working solar panel that works so I have been charging my electronics off that. We were literally making dinner by oil lamp and taking it into the wash area to have some light to bucket bathe with...it's definitely going to be an adjustment but I'm excited for the challenge.


 I went on a run one morning and this was the road through the village, very beautiful and quiet.
 I also got to celebrate Phagwah, Holi, with my school while I was there. It is a celebration of good over evil and was pretty fun to throw colors on each other!


The whole school! 


"Let go of expectations so they don't negatively impact your reality," -Peace Corps

No comments:

Post a Comment