Sunday, January 24, 2016

Christmas in Slovenia!

I had almost three weeks off for Christmas break and my friends Nick and Al who I met while teaching in Thailand invited me to meet up with them and their family in Slovenia! Al's parents are teaching English at an International school in Trieste, Italy, on the border of Slovenia. We all met up at the airport on Christmas Eve and then started exploring Ljubljana! 

 The dragon is the symbol of Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, and represents power, courage and greatness. 
For Christmas, Ljubljana has a theme every year for it's Christmas lights. This year was the universe, with lots of space elements and atoms, etc. It was very elaborate and interesting! 

Al, her sister, Liz, and Me!
Dallas, Liz's Husband, Al, Me and Nick!
Thai trio back together again! I feel so lucky that we have been able to meet up so many times and so appreciative that they invited me to spend Christmas with them and their family! It's always hard to be away from my family during Christmas and to be with good friends makes it easier! They were so nice and included me in everything and her parents even got me a stocking, so sweet!
The whole group having some wine at the Ljubljana Castle!
Back in Trieste, we saw some SUPing Santas! Let me tell you, the water was COLD! 
Walking around Trieste!
Dallas and Peg showing us a regular Italian car!

Al chillin with James Joyce, who lived in Trieste for about 15 years.
Drinking some hot chocolate to warm up with Al!
Lovin Italy!
It was really great because Al's parents, Peg and Mike, had rented cars to get everywhere we wanted to go. This gave us mobility but also a ton more freedom! One day we took a day trip to Rovinj, Croatia!
Touching the Adriatic Sea! (Spoiler: It was cold!)
Getting a quick coffee with Nick, Peg and Mike in Croatia!
Love them!


Then before I had to leave we drove to Lake Bled, Slovenia! Probably the best part of my trip. It was so beautiful. Crystal clear skies, beautiful lake that we got to walk around and wonderful weather!
Walking around the lake and taking pics from every angle because it was so beautiful!
Famous Lake Bled Cream Cake! Crispy top and creamy center, delish!
I mean...no words for how beautiful this was.

Our last day we all decided to row to the church in the middle of the lake instead of taking the vaparetto boats that zoom you right across in two seconds. It seemed like a good idea at the time! Turns out rowing a boat is hard work! Nick tried and failed pretty miserably (sorry Nick!)
Al tried and did pretty well! (By this time the other boat filled with Al's parents, sister and brother-in-law had already made it to the island)
So of course, my competitive nature took in and I couldn't let them beat us this badly! With Nick yelling at me, "You're gonna let a boy beat you?!" I rowed until my arms were jello but we finally made it! 
Rowing back was a little easier
After Lake Bled we drove to nearby Bohinj to take the gondola up the Julian Alps to the top of Mount Vogel!
This picture does not do it justice!

This trip was such a once in a lifetime trip! I loved getting to travel with Nick and Al again and getting to know their family better. Fun fact, I actually met them randomly by running into them at  Chatuchak Market in Bangkok, Thailand! (The biggest market in the world!) They could not have been nicer and I was so lucky to be able to tag along and spend Christmas with them! 


"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring." David Bowie

No comments:

Post a Comment