Friday, August 31, 2012

"Living in a foreign country is just one long game of charades."

Someone from my program said this and it is completely true!

Last weekend Mel and I went to Chiang Mai to meet our friends Jane and Erica again.  They are only contracted for 5 months so they are leaving soon and we are trying to spend time with them when we can.  We decided to take cooking lessons and learn how to cook some of our favorite Thai dishes! It was so fun! They picked us up from our apartment and then were able to choose from a variety of different meals! I cooked Pad Thai, chicken and cashews, som tom, (papaya salad) and fried bananas and ice cream!  It was so much fun and very informative.

Jane, Mel, Me, and Erica

 Making Som Tom!

 Making Chicken and Cashews!

 Then, on Sunday, Mel met up with a friend from Spain and so I went to the mall and saw "Brave." So cute. Loved it! Annnd I had a Starbucks! It was a pretty exciting Western afternoon.

This week has been back to business, teaching like normal.  Coaching for speeches in the morning, of course, though.
I think I said earlier that I am trying to learn students names, slowly but surely.  I am never surprised when I hear that I have a Beer, Garfield, Poop, Piggy, Gef or some other random sound.  But I always make the student spell it when they say Frank, Mark, or even Art. It sounds way too normal.

Teacher Eric, from France, Mel and I did have to teach the police officers of Phrae this week...They gave us some topics to talk about, Mel made a powerpoint and worksheet, and then we each had a day this week and different officers to teach. It was pretty intimidating at first.  50 old men, who cannot speak English all staring at you, while you teach them how to say, "You are under arrest!"  Thank goodness I had one of my co-teachers Khru (teacher) Pui to help translate and help me act everything out. It ended up being ok and they got into it when I made them all do charades. :-)

This weekend Mel and I are going to visit Jane and Erica in their village of Tha Wan Pa in the Nan province! It should be interesting and fun, it is extremely rural, so we'll see!

Miss everyone! Good luck to my sister, Kelly, moving into her first apartment in Boston this week! Wish I could be with you and the fam! Love you!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsea! I can't remember if I've left you a message on your blog yet... I just moved to Chiang Rai about 3 weeks ago, I went to school with Mel. =) I'm enjoying your blog, and I'm loving Thailand! I walked around downtown Chiang Rai today and noticed a place for Thai cooking classes - love that y'all took one, what a fun thing to do! :) I'm teaching here also at an awesome school, 2nd grade. We're on the same schedule as the States so we just finished our first week. Maybe we'll connect sometime and see you in Phrae! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! Welcome to Thailand! Mel and I went to Chiang Rai a couple weeks ago and loved it! You should definitely do the cooking class and we should definitely visit Phrae sometime! Hope to see you soon and have a good time!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Chels! The cooking sounds like fun. And the police man thing is definitely going into the sitcom I'm making about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg it definitely should! I had a question and answer period at the end of my little spiel and you should have heard some of the questions! So funny! THey were so cute!

      Delete